14th Annual Cancer Conference:
Sharing Knowledge & Inspiring Hope
Friday, November 3, 2017
8:30 a.m.–4:10 p.m.
New Location! Oracle Conference Center, Santa Clara, CA
4030 George Sellon Circle
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Don’t miss BCC’s medical symposium and resource fair for those in-treatment or post-treatment for breast or ovarian cancer, as well as medical professionals, therapists, and health educators. This is a day to network, share knowledge, and inspire hope!
The conference features informative and inspiring talks on treatment and ongoing wellness. In addition, treat yourself to a free massage or a healing touch session, and explore our resource fair.
*All presentations, speakers, and times listed are subject to change
8:30–9:30 REGISTRATION, BREAKFAST, & RESOURCE FAIR
9:30 Welcome & Opening Remarks
9:40–10:40 Advances in Immunotherapy—Minggui Pan, M.D.
10:45–11:45 Rhythm & Blues: Sleep Dysregulation, Depression, and Cancer Survival—David Spiegel, M.D.
11:45–12:45 LUNCH & RESOURCE FAIR
12:45–1:45 Genetic Testing- Is This for Me?—Pamela Munster, M.D.
1:45–2:00 Raffle Drawing & Break
2:00-3:00 BREAKOUT I
What is a Good Death?—Kavitha Ramchandran, M.D.
Presentation in Spanish: Nutrición después del cáncer—Aileen Trujillo Sounougatov
Empathy Basics: Finding Connection in Times of Suffering–Kelsey Crowe
Sugar and Blood Sugar: What’s the Problem?—Helayne Waldman, ED.D., M.S., CNE
3:10-4:10 BREAKOUT II
Ovarian Cancer: Treatment and Updates—Diana English, M.D.
New Treatments for Vaginal Health—Sarah Azad, M.D.
Metastatic Breast Cancer: Treatment and Research Updates
Understanding the Chemical Impact of our Environment—Maija Witte, Breast Cancer Prevention Partners
Earlybird registration is $30
Price increases to $50 on October 9
Scholarships are available.
Contact Sonia Sifuentes at email@example.com for more information.
Stanford Cancer Institute
Mission Hospice & Home Care
Pink Ribbon at the PJCC
El Camino Women’s Medical Group
Personalized Medicine and Novel Therapies, Dr. George W. Sledge [View Slides]
Managing Fear of Recurrence and Fear of Cancer Progression, Dr. Manuela Kogon [View Slides]
BREAK OUT SESSION I
- Cancer & Fertility, Dr. Mitchell Rosen
- Vibrant Living: Optimizing Everyday Wellness, Yvonne Tally
- Living and Working With Cancer: A Practical Plan for Navigating Insurance and Employment Issues, Rebecca Bloom [View Slides]
- Cancer Related Cognitive Changes, Velvet Hewett, OT/L, MPA
BREAK OUT SESSION II
- Updates from Recent Clinical Trials in Metastatic Breast Cancer, Dr. Suleiman Massarweh
Please note: This presentation will have a particular focus on ER-positive and HER2-positive disease.
- Medical Updates in the Treatment & Prevention of Ovarian Cancer, Dr. Oliver Dorigo [View Slides]
- Sleep Disruption after Cancer: Tips and Tools to Regain Healthy Sleep, Dr. Michelle Primeau
- Update in Triple Negative Breast Cancer, Dr. Melinda Telli [View Slides]
Integrative Medicine – Sue Kim, M.D., MS [View Slides]
Understanding Clinical Trials – Elly Cohen, PhD, UCSF [View Slides]
Sexuality, Intimacy, & Cancer – Eric Fitzmedrud, PhD [View Slides]
Managing Side Effects of Ovarian Cancer — Joanna Losito, RN MSN FNP-c AOCNP, Oncology Nurse Practitioner, Palo Alto Medical Foundation [View Slides]
Managing Side Effects of Breast Cancer — Jennifer Vickerman, Cancer Care Clinical Nurse, Mills Peninsula Medical Center
BREAK OUT SESSION I
- Exercise Presentation – Vicki McGrath, ACSM-EP-C, HFD, CET, Peninsula Jewish Community Center
- Updates on Treatment of Ovarian Cancer – Dwight Chen, M.D., Gynecologic Oncologist, Palo Alto Medical Foundation
- Updates on the Treatment of Metastatic Breast Cancer – Paula Kushlan, M.D., Medical Oncologist, Palo Alto Medical Foundation
- Nutrition – Lena Suhaila, ND, FABNO
BREAKOUT SESSION II
- Breast Density Screening Update – Harriet Borofsky, M.D., Radiologist, Mills Peninsula Medical Center
- Lymphedema – Gay Lee Gulbrandson, NCTMB, CLT-LANA, Certified Dr. Vodder Instructor
- Communicating with Your Loved Ones – Emily Ach, Ph.D., Stanford School of Medicine [View Slides]
- End of Life – Janet Childs, M.A., Bill Wilson Center-The Center for Living with Dying [View Slides]
click the green link to view presentation slides
But I Just Grew Out My Bangs – Katya Lezin, Ovarian Cancer Survivor
BREAKOUT SESSION I
Reconstruction Panel – John Griffin, M.D., Private Practice; Gabriel Kind, M.D., Private Practice; Steven Bates, M.D., Palo Alto Medical Foundation
BREAKOUT SESSION II
Mindful Eating Practice – Patty McLucas and Dorote Lucci
- Looking Back: Advances in Understanding the Biology of Breast Cancer View Slides
- Survivor Story: Inflammatory Breast Cancer View Slides
- Dealing with Side Effects: Lymphedema
- Understanding the Breast Density Law View Slides
- Rehabilitation and Physical Recovery After Breast Surgery View Slides
- Integrative Oncology
- Updates on the Treatment of Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Nutrition During & After Treatment View Slides
- One Day at a Time: After Cancer Treatment View Slides
- Smart Consumer Panel: Shopping for Your Health View Slides