14th Annual Cancer Conference:
Sharing Knowledge & Inspiring Hope
Friday, November 3, 2017
8:30 a.m.–4:10 p.m.
New Location! Oracle Conference Center, Santa Clara, CA
4030 George Sellon Circle
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Don’t miss BCC’s medical symposium and resource fair for those in-treatment or post-treatment for breast or ovarian cancer, as well as medical professionals, therapists, and health educators. This is a day to network, share knowledge, and inspire hope!
The conference features informative and inspiring talks on treatment and ongoing wellness. In addition, treat yourself to a free massage or a healing touch session, and explore our resource fair.
*All presentations, speakers, and times listed are subject to change
8:30–9:30 REGISTRATION, BREAKFAST, & RESOURCE FAIR
9:30 Welcome & Opening Remarks
9:40–10:40 Advances in Immunotherapy—Minggui Pan, M.D.
10:45–11:45 Surviving and Thriving—David Spiegel, M.D.
11:45–12:45 LUNCH & RESOURCE FAIR
12:45–1:45 Genetic Testing- Is This for Me?—Pamela Munster, M.D.
1:45–2:00 Raffle Drawing & Break
2:00-3:00 BREAKOUT I
Demystifying Death—Kavitha Ramchandran, M.D.
Presentation in Spanish: Nutrición después del cáncer—Aileen Trujillo Sounougatov
Empathy Basics: Finding Connection in Times of Suffering–Kelsey Crowe
Sugar and Blood Sugar: What’s the Problem?—Helayne Waldman, ED.D., M.S., CNE
3:10-4:10 BREAKOUT II
Ovarian Cancer: Treatment and Updates—Diana English, M.D.
New Treatments for Vaginal Health—Sarah Azad, M.D.
Metastatic Breast Cancer: Treatment and Research Updates—Elly Cohen, M.D.
Breast Cancer and the Environment—Janet Gray, Ph.D. and Sharima Rasanayagam, Ph.D.
Registration is $50
Up to 5 Continuing Education Units available to R.N. certifications for a separate and additional $35 fee payable to CPIC (Cancer Prevention Institute of California). The payment to CPIC for CEUs can be made by check or cash at the registration table on the day of the conference.
Scholarships are available.
Contact Sonia Sifuentes at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Stanford Cancer Institute
Bay Area Hyperbarics
Mission Hospice & Home Care
Pink Ribbon at the PJCC
El Camino Women’s Medical Group
Personalized Medicine and Novel Therapies, Dr. George W. Sledge [View Slides]
Managing Fear of Recurrence and Fear of Cancer Progression, Dr. Manuela Kogon [View Slides]
BREAK OUT SESSION I
- Cancer & Fertility, Dr. Mitchell Rosen
- Vibrant Living: Optimizing Everyday Wellness, Yvonne Tally
- Living and Working With Cancer: A Practical Plan for Navigating Insurance and Employment Issues, Rebecca Bloom [View Slides]
- Cancer Related Cognitive Changes, Velvet Hewett, OT/L, MPA
BREAK OUT SESSION II
- Updates from Recent Clinical Trials in Metastatic Breast Cancer, Dr. Suleiman Massarweh
Please note: This presentation will have a particular focus on ER-positive and HER2-positive disease.
- Medical Updates in the Treatment & Prevention of Ovarian Cancer, Dr. Oliver Dorigo [View Slides]
- Sleep Disruption after Cancer: Tips and Tools to Regain Healthy Sleep, Dr. Michelle Primeau
- Update in Triple Negative Breast Cancer, Dr. Melinda Telli [View Slides]
Integrative Medicine – Sue Kim, M.D., MS [View Slides]
Understanding Clinical Trials – Elly Cohen, PhD, UCSF [View Slides]
Sexuality, Intimacy, & Cancer – Eric Fitzmedrud, PhD [View Slides]
Managing Side Effects of Ovarian Cancer — Joanna Losito, RN MSN FNP-c AOCNP, Oncology Nurse Practitioner, Palo Alto Medical Foundation [View Slides]
Managing Side Effects of Breast Cancer — Jennifer Vickerman, Cancer Care Clinical Nurse, Mills Peninsula Medical Center
BREAK OUT SESSION I
- Exercise Presentation – Vicki McGrath, ACSM-EP-C, HFD, CET, Peninsula Jewish Community Center
- Updates on Treatment of Ovarian Cancer – Dwight Chen, M.D., Gynecologic Oncologist, Palo Alto Medical Foundation
- Updates on the Treatment of Metastatic Breast Cancer – Paula Kushlan, M.D., Medical Oncologist, Palo Alto Medical Foundation
- Nutrition – Lena Suhaila, ND, FABNO
BREAKOUT SESSION II
- Breast Density Screening Update – Harriet Borofsky, M.D., Radiologist, Mills Peninsula Medical Center
- Lymphedema – Gay Lee Gulbrandson, NCTMB, CLT-LANA, Certified Dr. Vodder Instructor
- Communicating with Your Loved Ones – Emily Ach, Ph.D., Stanford School of Medicine [View Slides]
- End of Life – Janet Childs, M.A., Bill Wilson Center-The Center for Living with Dying [View Slides]
click the green link to view presentation slides
But I Just Grew Out My Bangs – Katya Lezin, Ovarian Cancer Survivor
BREAKOUT SESSION I
Reconstruction Panel – John Griffin, M.D., Private Practice; Gabriel Kind, M.D., Private Practice; Steven Bates, M.D., Palo Alto Medical Foundation
BREAKOUT SESSION II
Mindful Eating Practice – Patty McLucas and Dorote Lucci
- Looking Back: Advances in Understanding the Biology of Breast Cancer View Slides
- Survivor Story: Inflammatory Breast Cancer View Slides
- Dealing with Side Effects: Lymphedema
- Understanding the Breast Density Law View Slides
- Rehabilitation and Physical Recovery After Breast Surgery View Slides
- Integrative Oncology
- Updates on the Treatment of Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Nutrition During & After Treatment View Slides
- One Day at a Time: After Cancer Treatment View Slides
- Smart Consumer Panel: Shopping for Your Health View Slides