Join Our Team
If you are passionate about women’s health, helping others, and building community, we want to hear from you. Bay Area Cancer Connections currently has 11 staff members, and more than 300 volunteers who are essential to fulfilling the organization’s mission of providing personalized information and support to breast and ovarian cancer patients, family, and friends.
Director of Development
Come join the staff and volunteers at Bay Area Cancer Connections (BCC) as our Director of Development to help us start the planning for our 25th anniversary celebration year. The Director of Development works collaboratively in a team-oriented, mission focused environment and is responsible for the strategic development, implementation and analysis of BCC’s fundraising program. Raising approximately $1.7 million annually, priorities include major gifts and annual giving programs, as well as corporate and foundation giving. The Director also manages media and community relations, as well as event planning related to fundraising. The Director of Development is a full-time position, reporting to the Executive Director.
- Establish annual fundraising objectives and design an appropriate strategy for accomplishing them, working closely with the Board Fund Development Committee and the Executive Director.
- Develop an effective long-term fundraising strategy for the organization to ensure that it will have adequate financial resources in the future.
- Manage and mentor one full-time development staff person
- Write grant proposals and reports to grant making institutions ensuring that appropriate staff members are involved in a timely manner and all organizational deadlines are met.
- Manage event planning for all development related events (including one major annual fundraiser) and attend and participate in all BCC events.
- Work with the Fund Development Committee Chair to utilize their knowledge and relationships.
- Build strong relationships with key agency stakeholders including donors, volunteers, the Board of Directors, corporations, foundations and other community organizations.
- Identify and cultivate new donor prospects (individual, corporate and foundation) involving the Executive Director and others when appropriate.
- Cultivate and solicit major gifts, utilizing volunteers and other staff when appropriate.
- Oversee all donor stewardship, including donor appreciation evenings, ensuring timely gift acknowledgements, etc.
- Supervise and support development coordinator in planning and implementing all annual campaigns.
- Act as an advocate and representative of BCC, speaking knowledgeably about the work of BCC to others and maintaining effective relationships with the media and general community.
- Attend board meetings to present on revenue and development activity. Serve on committees as assigned by the Executive Director and Board.
- Oversee planning and creation of newsletter content related to development and external relations.
- Work collaboratively with all BCC staff, providing a fundraising perspective and offering ideas and support for all BCC activities.
- Perform other duties and assist with special projects as needed.
Summary of Qualifications
The successful candidate will have the following skills and background:
- BA. or B.S.
- 6-8 years increasingly responsible development experience.
- Ability to think strategically and translate that thinking into action plans to accomplish goals
- Exceptional multi-tasking, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong writing skills and knowledge of the grant writing process.
- Experience in managing and motivating staff and volunteers successfully.
- Demonstrated initiative, follow-through, high energy, and sense of humor.
- Familiarity with breast cancer or cancer clients/services is desirable.
- Familiarity with SF Bay Area funding community and health related nonprofits is a plus.
About Bay Area Cancer Connections
Bay Area Cancer Connections is a one-stop resource for breast cancer and related breast health issues located in Palo Alto. As a nonprofit organization, we offer free programs and services for those touched by breast cancer and the people who care about them. We have a dynamic, engaged and active volunteer corps numbering more than 250 individuals who are deeply committed to treating each individual with respect and compassion. Our board is committed to funding the mission and actively engaged with fundraising initiatives and events. Since Bay Area Cancer Connections was founded in 1993 by a breast cancer patient and her dedicated surgeon, we have endeavored to set the standard for compassionate support and comprehensive information. We are proud of our exceptional volunteer and staff team and we were named a “Best Place to Work” by Opportunity Knocks. We believe our team is integral to making BCC the best resource in the Bay Area for those affected by breast cancer. BCC’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process. For more information about Bay Area Cancer Connections, applicants are encouraged to visit our website at www.bcconnections.org.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time (40 hours weekly) position with a salary based on experience. BCC offers a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, vacation and holidays. BCC’s pleasant, welcoming offices are located within a block of California Avenue restaurants and shops.
Please email letter of interest (detailing relevant experience) and resume to email@example.com. Review of applicant materials will begin as received. Please make DD the subject of your email along with your name (ex: “DD Ann Smith”).
Interested in volunteering?
Please visit our volunteer webpage to learn how you can get involved.